What is LIFE?

LIFE is the only financial programme of the European Union exclusively dedicated to the environment. With a budget of €3.4 billion allocated for the period 2021-2027, it aims at contributing to sustainable development and achieving the objectives and goals of the Strategy EUROPE 2020 and the strategies and plans of the EU in the field of environment and climate. This program is divided into 2 sub-programs: one geared towards the environment, which represents 75% of the total funding, and the other one for climate change, with 25% of the budget.

Environment sub-program

Priority areas

1 – Environment and Resource Efficiency

2 – Nature and Biodiversity

3 – Environmental Governance and Information


€2,592 million


consortium of public and private bodies at the local level: councils, city councils, universities, public or private companies (including SMEs) and associations. Startups and entrepreneurs can also apply.


Priority area Environment and resource efficiency

Focuses on projects that pursue the objective of developing, testing and demonstrating policy or management approaches, best practices and solutions, including development and demonstration of innovative technologies, to environmental challenges, suitable for being replicated, transferred or mainstreamed, including with respect to the link between the environment and health, and in support of resource efficiency-related policy and legislation, including the Roadmap to a Resource Efficient Europe.

Priority area Nature and Biodiversity

Focuses on contributing to the development and implementation of Union policy and legislation in the area of nature and biodiversity. All that is included within the Union Biodiversity Strategy to 2020 and the Birds and Habitats Directives. It supports the development, implementation and management of the Natura 2000 network; and improving the knowledge base for the development, implementation, application, monitoring and evaluation of the European Union policy and legislation on nature and biological diversity, as well as, evaluating and closely monitoring all that influences directly nature and biological diversity.

Priority area Environmental Governance and Information

Supports information, communication and awareness-raising campaigns in line with the priorities of the 7th Environment Action Programme, as well as activities in support of effective control process, measures to promote compliance in relation to Union environmental legislation, and in support of information systems and information tools on implementation of Union environmental legislation.


This course is directed towards professionals from the public and private sector interested in environmental programs.

Duration: 20 hours of training and activities

Certificate: After the course you will receive an official certificate